This recipe makes a lot of icing, probably enough to decorate 75 – 3″ sugar cookies. It dries hardÂ which makes it great for decorating cookies and making fanciful decorations for cakes.
- 2 lbs. sifted powdered sugar
- 2 TB sifted meringue powder
- 1 TB lemon juice
- 2/3 cup of water
- Combine in a stand mixer your sifted powdered sugar and sifted meringue powder. Add your lemon juice to the water. Turn the stand mixer on low and slowly pour in about two thirds of the water/lemon mixture. Mix until all the sugar is incorporated then add water if the mixture looks a bit dry and crumbly. You want it to be smooth and pretty thick. You can always add more water, but it is hard to dry it back out once it gets to thin, so add the extra water slowly.
- Turn the mixer on medium high and let the the icing beat for 5-8 minutes or until medium stiff peaks are formed. It is almost like whipping egg whites. This will give you a smooth icing that will harden nicely.
- Store the icing in a tightly sealed container for up to a week in the refrigerator. Thin out to the desired consistency with a bit of water. You can also add flavoring extracts to suit your taste.